Here at Brightstowe we have received fantastic news that our Academy has achieved the prestigious Basic and Advanced Mental Health Badge as part of the Bristol City Council's Healthy Schools initiative to improve the mental health and wellbeing of all students and staff.
'Young people can experience a range of mental health problems. Childhood and teenage years are a time when children are usually changing rapidly and developing all the time. Children also often have to cope with many different situations and unfamiliar challenges like exams, relationships and the other pressures of growing up.' (Mind.org.uk)
An extensive audit was carried out which identifies and forms the basis of where the focus was to be in our Academy. As we had just introduced the Ready To Learn Behavioural policy, data was used to identify a cohort of students that would benefit.
The work carried out will continue and make sure there are appropriate strategies in place to support students most at risk.
Staff at Oasis will always listen if you would like to discuss a Mental Health issue, there is also other support available in Bristol: Bristol Mind.
Bristol Mind is a mental health resource for people in Bristol and surrounding areas providing:
- information and signposting service
- a wide range of advocacy services
- low cost counselling
- a confidential helpline MindLine 0808 808 0330 (Wed-Sun, 8pm to midnight)
- a confidential Transgender helpline 0300 330 5468 (Mon and Fri, 8pm to midnight)
- a confidential out-of-hours peri-natal support helpline for mums and their families 0117 935 9366 (Sat and Sun, 8pm to midnight)
- LGBTQ+ wellbeing therapies
- a hate crime service
· Please click here to go to Mind Bristol's website page
Kooth is a Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people. It is an online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people, accessible through mobile, tablet and desktop and free at the point of use.
(Opening times Monday – Friday 12pm – 10pm and Saturday – Sunday 6pm – 10pm)
Please click here for Kooth's website page