Throughout Years 7 and 8, students engage in performing, composing and listening to many different types of music. Students explore how music is created and performed in a practical way, whilst developing their understanding of the musical elements.
Students at Brightstowe have the opportunity to learn a wide range of instruments, from clarinets and trombones to pianos and drums!
The KS3 curriculum lays a foundation of knowledge which prepares students for GCSE music. The KS4 course then further develops students’ performance, composition and appraising skills.
All students are encouraged to join our brilliant extra-curricular clubs which happen during lunchtimes and after school.
- Choir – Tuesday Lunchtimes (both lunches)
- Samba Drumming Club – Wednesday Lunchtimes (Year 9, 10 and 7)
- Band – Wednesday after school (3.30pm)
- GCSE Revision Club – Thursday after school (3.30pm)
Studying music can take you down many avenues!
- Session Musician
- Resident Musician
- Cruise Ship Musician
- Choir Director
- Musical Director
- Teacher (in schools or privately)
- Sound Engineer
- Church Organist
- Music Shop Assistant
- Band Manager
- Composer for Film or Adverts
- Broadcaster (radio and television)
- Music Journalist
- Public Relations and Advertising
- A&R Director
- Publicity and Promotion Director
- Music Licenser
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Instrument Repair and Restoration Specialist
- Music Technician
Useful websites for parents
For enquiries about instrumental lessons, email: [email protected]
Supporting students in music outside of school
- For choirs/ensembles/music clubs outside of school, visit: www.bristolplaysmusic.org/
- Bristol Music Trust: www.colstonhall.org/about-us/bristol-music-trust/
- PK Music for 2nd hand musical instruments: www.pk-music.co.uk/
- PMT music shop for musical instruments/books: www.pmtonline.co.uk/stores/bristol/
- Hobgoblin for musical instruments/books: www.hobgoblin.com/shops/bristol/