The Oasis way of working with the wider community is through Community Hubs. Oasis Academy Brightstowe is part of the Oasis Hub: North Bristol.
We are joined in the Hub by Oasis Academy Bank Leaze and Oasis Academy Long Cross, serving the communities of Shirehampton, Lawrence Weston, Sea Mills and Avonmouth. The Hub also includes the Community Services Team and the Long Cross Children's Centre.
Oasis Hub: North Bristol works to provide community services and activities to meet the needs of the local residents economically, vocationally, academically, environmentally, socially, morally, spiritually, physically and emotionally. Our projects include:
- The Oasis Community Shop, located on Ridingleaze, Lawrence Weston. This offers affordable children’s clothes, toys and craft items for sale. There are also regular sewing and craft workshops and courses for adults plus children’s workshops during school holidays.
- Holiday activities. The Hub offers a range of targeted and open-access free activities for children and young people throughout all the academy holidays.
- Counselling service. Based at Long Cross Children's Centre, this offers free support for all members of the community.
- Family support. The Hub’s Leader and Community Engagement Worker offers weekly Family Support sessions for any parent needing advice or support, or who wishes to talk through a problem.
- Juicy Blitz Youth Project, based on Ridingleaze, Lawrence Weston. Offers free activities for young people aged 10-19, up to 24 years old if you have additional needs. Activities include health and wellbeing workshops and activities, Young Peoples Café, 1-2-1 support, community projects and sports.
- Mentoring. Heads of year can refer any student they feel could benefit from a listening ear or targeted goal-setting to work with the Hub Youth Workers for six week periods. The Hub Community Engagement Worker also offers aspirational mentoring for Year 11s who could benefit from support to achieve their potential.
The Hub is run by Oasis Community Partnerships (OCP), a sister charity to Oasis Community Learning, and is therefore a charity in its own right. OCPs overarching aim is to transform the communities within which it works and to develop a sense of belonging within everyone involved.
For more information on any of our projects, or to find out what we have coming up, please visit the Oasis Hub North Bristol Community Shop Facebook page.