Young Carers at Brightstowe
A Young Carer is a child under 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member or friend who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or addiction problem.
Children may engage in:
· Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping)
· Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs)
· Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs)
· Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions)
· Managing medication
· Looking after younger siblings
· Helping someone communicate
Brightstowe can support young carers. If you, or a family member, needs support please contact Mr Alasdair Keys or Miss Lydia Allen at Alasdair.email@example.com and Lydia.firstname.lastname@example.org . All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence. Alternatively, you can call the school, leave a message and they will get back to you.
We run a Young Carers group and support group and work very closely with the Young Carers Service of Bristol and South Gloucestershire. Young carers have a space to come and communicate any concerns or worries or they can just check-in to Mr Keys or Miss Allen during break time on a Wednesday in A4. Our aim is to support our young carers to be the very best that they can be.
Mr Keys, Head of Year 8 Miss L Allen, English Teacher