Our vision is for the Academy to develop "students with the confidence and range of skills to stand as equals in any circle and for any opportunity"
Our ‘Navy Blues’ wear a navy blue tie to mark them out as student leaders and we equip them with the essential leadership skills required for the role. They complete duties at the start of the day and at break time, run our Reward Shop, and are expected to be role models to all students and visitors, including challenging their colleagues on behaviour and showing visitors around. They ensure our Academy is beautiful and welcoming. In return, they receive a programme of leadership development and the chance to lead on social change projects and charitable projects within the school.
Our 'Navy Blues' run our Uganda Week fundraising events to support our sister school in Uganda, Oasis Academy Musoto, helping to raise awareness of those who are less fortunate and key issues such as education, clean water and sustainable farming.
They also choose a specialist area on which to lead, which is a topic which they feel passionately about. For example, acting as a primary school liaison, working on eco-issues or events and marketing. The aim of this is to support them with relevant work experience and leadership opportunities for their future courses and careers after Oasis Academy Brightstowe.
Our leadership sessions cover:
- Presentation skills: public speaking; appearance; meeting and greeting; how to create an impactful and visual presentation
- Project management: how to effectively take ideas from thoughts to action; how to backward plan and ensure a plan for success; how to manage money in projects; how to evaluate success
- Team work: how to lead a team effectively; how to enable and develop others effectively; how to have challenging but constructive conversations
- Conflict resolution: how to professionally deal with complaints, non-compliance and disagreement
- Influencing and Persuading: how to motivate and inspire people, in order to lead successful teams
- Marketing and advertising: learning about creating and sustaining brands; how to raise the profile of events and issues
- Resilience training: How to learn from mistakes; how to ‘save face’ professionally; how to be honest and humble when required