The Oasis Community Learning (OCL) family of Academies are split into four regions of England – London and the South East, the Midlands, the South West and the North.
Each Academy ensures local governance through an Academy Council, whilst national governance is delivered through the OCL National Office, and Regional Directors (RDs).
Each region is supported by at least one RD who is accountable to the CEO of OCL, and accountable for the Principals of Academies in their region.
The job of a Regional Director is to:
- Oversee regional delivery of education, including standards and leadership as well as performance outcomes
- Ensure professional governance across all Academies in their region
- Monitor Academy budgets and escalations
- Monitor and escalate high risk HR cases, IT services issues, property and estates, new business and capital project issues
- Monitor, audit and intervene on safeguarding issues and health and safety issues
The Regional Director for academies within the South West region is Matt Butler.
Matt Butler joined Oasis in Sept 2010 as the Principal for Oasis Academy Brightstowe. His early career was spent in industry with British Airways, working as both an accountant and general manager. Matt’s educational journey started in London with Haverstock School, before joining Future Leaders and moving to work in Hornsey School for Girls and then Pimlico Academy as the Deputy Principal and part of the team that took the Academy from Special Measures to Outstanding in two years.
Since joining Oasis, Matt led Brightstowe for four years before taking on the Executive Principal role for Oasis Academy Long Cross primary. The Executive Principal role was expanded to include Bank Leaze primary and finally Brislington secondary, before Matt was appointed to the role of Regional Director for the South West in May 2016. Matt currently lives in Bristol with his wife, Joanna, and two children, Oscar and Jasper.
To read more about the governance structure, please click here.